Walking



Now living in a country with four seasons, three being colder than not, I've come to appreciate the sun more. In sunny Singapore, we used to think foreigners were crazy to sit out in the sun – alfresco, they say. Now, I get it. When you get cold most of the time, the warmth of the sun makes for a treat.

The sun was out today, and it paired well enough with the winter air to warrant a walk. So I went freestyle around my neighbourhood. With a general sense of direction, I just walked and walked, walking far enough, and then guessing my way back.

Walking takes so much longer, but you see so much more. In the car driving by streets, it's just about getting to the destination. In my shoes walking down those same streets, I "got" so much more. Gardens, windows, arches, walkways, a peek in if a curtain happened to be drawn, a neighbour smiling, and cockatoos with yellow "mohawks" in the park. Soaking it all in, while reminding myself to walk fast enough for it to be considered an exercise.

Who said that driving is always better!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tupperware never looked so cool

Weekend at Lakes Entrance