The most excellent gift

Was reading 1 Corinthians today, and the end of chapter 12 leading to chapter 13 showed something new.

The verses talk about gifts from the Holy Spirit, then says, "But eagerly desire the greater gifts. And now I will show you the most excellent way", then begins the famous chapter and most accurate, selfless, crazy definition of love –
"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.  
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does no boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

Wow. We are to eagerly desire the greater gifts like healing, teaching, tongues... but the greatest gift of all, is love. Love, which everyone can have and give. We may not have all the other gifts, but we have the most excellent one – love. Love which never fails. The others will cease, but love will remain.

I would eagerly desire the greater gifts, but I will also most eagerly desire what Paul says is the most excellent gift – the gift of love; love, the way God defines it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tupperware never looked so cool

Weekend at Lakes Entrance