Job vs Ministry

Some people have a JOB in the church; others involve themselves in a MINISTRY

What’s the difference?

If you are doing it just because no one else will, it's a JOB
If you are doing it to serve the Lord, it's a MINISTRY

If you quit because somebody criticised you, it was a JOB
If you keep on serving, it's a MINISTRY

If you'll do it only as long as it does not interfere with your other activities, it's a JOB
If you are committed to staying with it even when it means letting go of other things, it's a MINISTRY

If you quit because no one praised you or thanked you, it was a JOB
If you stay with it even though no body recognised your efforts, it is a MINISTRY

It's hard to get excited about a JOB
It's almost impossible not to be excited about a MINISTRY

If our concern is success, it's a JOB
If our concern is faithfulness, it's a MINISTRY

An average church is filled with people with doing JOBS
A great and growing church is filled with people involved in MINISTRY

Where do we fit in?
What about us?

If God calls you to a MINISTRY, don't treat it like as JOB
If you have a JOB in your church, give it up and find a ministry

Source: unknown










"The Stress Disease" Larry Davies

I don't mean to complain but the last few weeks have been pretty stressful..
My daughter is having minor surgery and my wife is experiencing numbness..
There have been many changes at church as a result of growth and I can't keep up..
Too many people are visiting our church. I can't get around to meeting all of them..
Several members have experienced tragedies and I must be there for them..
Our church has a bigger budget than ever and I am responsible to help us pay everything..
Our family has a new puppy with lots of energy and she's driving me crazy..
My computer has been in the shop which keeps me from doing my work.

Moan and groan! Have you noticed all the emphasis on me? Everything is about me! Whenever stress gets bad, it is often because of a dreaded disease known as: ME, MYSELF AND I. You're afflicted when you make statements such as: "I must do everything myself if it's to be done right! You just can't find good help now! No one ever volunteers but me!"

Are you catching on to the problem?The "me, myself and I" disease infects most of us occasionally but if you don't seek treatment you will suffer immeasurable pain, not to mention losing a few friends.

Fortunately, God has a prescription for what ails us: quiet reflection, a measure of prayer and a solid dose of Bible study. For example:

"Now there are different kinds of spiritual gifts but it is the same Holy Spirit who is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service in the church but it is the same Lord we are serving. There are different ways God works in our lives but it is the same God who does the work through all of us. A spiritual gift is given to each of us as a means of helping the entire church. (1 Corinthians 12:4-7)

The common interpretation of this passage is, "All of us are different with various talents and abilities." But recently I noticed another lesson. Look at the second part of each sentence:.different kinds of spiritual gifts but the same Holy Spirit..different kinds of service but the same Lord..different ways God works but it is the same God.The emphasis was never meant to be on our gifts, however good.

Three times the author makes the point. "the same Holy Spirit, the same Lord and the same God." In other words, we all have different gifts but we are all coordinated and encouraged by the same Lord. It is God who is ultimately in control, not me.

When I put the emphasis on me, myself and I the result is always the same: chaos and stress. But with God in control there is always another way.

Look at my complaints again:
My daughter is having minor surgery and my wife is experiencing numbness. Yet, hundreds of people are offering comfort and praying for our family.. There have been many changes at church as a result of growth and I can't keep up. Every change has resulted in good things for our church and for me..

So many people are visiting our church. I can't get around to meeting them. And this is supposed to be a problem? Come on Larry, get real!.

Several members have experienced tragedies and I must be there for them. Yet in the midst of those tragedies, I found God giving comfort in so many ways..

Our church has a bigger budget than ever and I have to help them pay it. Each time the budget grows we are touching another life for God..

The family puppy has too much energy and she's driving me crazy. But thanks to my constant walking of her, I've lost weight and I feel better..

My computer has been in the shop which has kept me from doing my work. Maybe this is God's way of giving me extra time for family and in prayer.

As, Paul promised, "A spiritual gift is given to each of us as a means of helping the entire church." Our church functions smoothly and my stress level goes down considerably when I learn to stop thinking everything revolves around me and trust God to provide the people and resources we need. "Lord, please replace my stress with faith. in You!"








worship comm went to yang-shen's house today for a meeting. i like his house :D it has a nice brick wall. haha. and the walk to his house from somerset's nice too :D aniwae, i think it was the first time tt the whole comm met. wow.


pray without ceasing. yeps. pray.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tupperware never looked so cool

Weekend at Lakes Entrance