The Last Empress: Perpectives and contentment

Okay so here is a picture of me in a dress:


Okay you can't really see the dress well. But still, it is a picture of me in a dress. That's the bestest eldest sister in the world beside me. The hair you see is the flower girl's. My mom did it! And that's my third uncle - looking a younger version of my Dad.

Anyway, I'm back in Melbourne! I brought a photo of me and my brother :D Plus that cool little boat.



Wanting to use up my Kino voucher, I bought the book, Empress Orchid, and was so absorbed in it! It was good enough for me to buy the sequel, The Last Empress. My father cultivated in us some interest in the history of China. And now, my housemate Shierly, and I, have Uncle Oliver to tell us more stories, usually at dinner time. I haven't read storybooks in so long, this was refreshing. Let me tell you a bit about it.

The world painted the empress as an ugly, scheming, power-hungry woman, but Anchee Min puts her in a completely different light. Perspectives are so important - they have so much power to decide how we think, hence how we react, how people think of us etc. So many times, we only have a one-sided view of things, which limits us, and sometimes causes us to not know the truth. And knowing the truth is important. After all, who likes to be fooled by lies?

Reading it, it all seems so dramatic and intriguing as schemes and lies and hopes and desires are vividly painted. There was much extravaganza and beauty in the structure of the emperor's palace, The Forbidden City. But it was also ugly, full of strife. It is ironic how those many of those outside the Forbidden City heard of its splendor and tried hard to enter, believing it would make them happy, while those inside longed for the freedom of the outside, even if for just the simple pleasure of a stroll down the back lane where they played with neighbours as a child.

Those inside and outside had different views on what made happiness.

We need to learn to be content with what we have.

Paul says, "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." (Philippians 4:11-13)


--


Hm. How many people actually really read quite-long posts like that properly? haha. Anyways. It's time to watch Batman Begins on TV! Saturday night movies with Shierly at the cosy Rumpus room of 6 Browns Road. Adios!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tupperware never looked so cool

Weekend at Lakes Entrance