Public transport

27 September 2012

Cutest taxi ride ever. Old grandfather driver. Conversation about life (he said people who have lived overseas have a hint of caucasian in their look haha). Wasn't embarassed by my bare chinese punctuated with english. Could tell he was really contented and fulfilled. People like him show you what really matters - family.


11 October 2012

A contrast to the previous cab ride with a content grandfather driver. I was trying to figure out what made me feel somewhat burdened from tonight's cab driver. Was it loneliness? Or what? After some mulling, I realised: Judged. 

That's how the uncle felt. Judged. The first thing he asked once I got in the cab was: What are your views on older men (uncle type) going out with a twenty something year old young girl? I said I didn't have an opinion (partly because I didn't have the ability to express it adeptly enough in Mandarin. He was speaking very fast. Chimification).

He told me he does that sometimes and has been chastised by friends, while strangers have shot him disapproving looks. However it is different if it is a Caucasian that people see with a young girl. "Isn't everyone entitled to their own opinion?" he asked, sounding maligned.

It was a little freaky at first because I was after all a twenty something year old girl in a cab with him at 2am. But anyway.

Yes, judged. Maybe lonely too. But more than that, judged.

If we see things we believe are not right in our society, how do we approach it? Do we encourage or discourage things in a loving manner? WWJD?


7 December 2012

We are playing musical chairs in this mrt train carriage today. Old man comes in, three people move to give up their seat, old man takes one seat and the other two sit back in seat. Another lady gives up a seat for an old lady. Two young kids come in, two people give up their seats. 

Maybe people are more willing to be nice when they've had enough sleep (I'm on the train after peak hour; though the train is still quite crowded). But anyway. Musical chairs in the train - it's a good thing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tupperware never looked so cool

Weekend at Lakes Entrance