How to choose flowers for your wedding

Quite a few people have been asking about flowers for weddings, so here's sharing from my experience.

Our wedding was just over a year back in mid 2014. Both of us don't know much about flowers, and as with our guide for the rest of the wedding – the wedding is just one day, so don't spend too much. But also, it is the one day that you will have once in your life, so don't be stingy. Figure out what is important, and most importantly, make it memorable for you two.

Soooo. With flowers... like I said, I don't know much about flowers. But as I researched (hello pinterest), I came across so many good ideas, and started to like flowers more. Do you know how many gazillion types of flowers there are out there? You know these are roses:


But how about these. Do you know what they are?


They are roses too! Just different kinds of roses. Just roses alone were so much to think of. What helped in picking the flowers is that I don't have any special affinity or memory with any kind of flowers. Not like some people who have a crazy love for yellow buttons or a memory of lilies because of some occasion. Those things can be good because you know what you want, or not-so-good because they could be expensive/not suit your colour theme etc. 

Additionally,  I had to consider type of flowers and the season because different flowers grow naturally in different seasons, hence affecting the availability and price. 

Our wedding was in June – winter cold.

After figuring out what I liked, and hearing amazing prices such as $180–220 for a bride's bouquet, I thought – no way am I paying that much for one bouquet. I like flowers, but I don't $220-like flowers.

There are lots of good florists out there. In the end I picked one that a friend recommended –  Ems Bouquets – who did a recent wedding for her friend.

What I did: Emailed emsbouquets[at]gmail[dot]com a request, along with some samples, and asked for a quote. The florist came back with a rough quote, we met to take a look at the flowers and have a chat about what I really wanted, and tadah! That was it.


^ Samples I sent the florist so she had an idea of what I like ^


The quote I got was A$480 including delivery, which is reasonable for Australia. I'm thinking if it was Singapore, it'd be about half the price. Not sure, though.

We (or rather, I – Ian let me decide everything about the flowers as long as it wasn't crazy pricey) decided on simple classic roses in cream, peach and light pink, paired with dusty millers to give it a soft look and kind of match the winter season. What we got for our big day was:

For people
1x Bride's bouquet
2x Bridesmaid's bouquets
1x Groom's buttonhole
2x Best men's buttonholes
A few white roses for the bride's hairdo

For decor
8x Aisle mini bouquets
1x Bouquet in tall vase for reception table
2x Bouquets in short vase for chapel table



^ White roses, part of the bride's bouquet. ^


^ Bridesmaids bouquets were a mix of three colours. 
They were slightly smaller than the bride's bouquet. ^



^ Buttonholes for the best men and bestest man aka groom. 
The groom's had two roses instead of one just so, y'know, 
it'd be clear who was the groom (not to me, but to others! I was very clear). ^


 ^ We put sashes along the aisle so people wouldn't walk in the middle, and had bunches of 4 roses for every alternate aisle. I would have preferred them for every aisle but decided to save that money instead. Honestly, I can't remember seeing them until I saw this photo; there are just so many other things going on that day, you won't pay attention to every single thing. So don't sweat it too much! ^


^ Short vases for the front table. It was where we signed our marriage certificates so it had to be low in order not to block our faces. There was also a tall vase of roses for the reception table. ^


Em provided friendly and efficient service. She delivered some of the flowers to the bride's location first, and others to the wedding venue. Ezpz. After the wedding, we brought the vases with flowers home, and since it was winter, they lasted a good 2–3 weeks!

So my advice on choosing flowers and a florist for your wedding is: Don't sweat it too much unless flowers are really a huge priority for you. Figure out what you like, know your budget, decide on your florist and trust her/him.

Want to read more? These 10 tips by Bridal Musings is pretty good.

--
Photo credits: Mei and Mingyao.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tupperware never looked so cool

Weekend at Lakes Entrance