Sugar ban

Yesterday while chewing on dinner, I felt something on my teeth and tried to get it off. I couldn't. And I realised that something had not been added; rather, something was GONE. LIKE. SRSLY?

So yes. Part of my tooth crown got broken off. I wasn't even chewing anything hard and I must have swallowed it because I didn't bite into anything hard ie, the crown (so yea, got some porcelain in my tummy now).

As a result, I made a trip to the dentist. I don't dread visits to the dentist like some who find it a painful ordeal. However, I almost always come out sighing because there are always problems and no small costs. The dentist confirmed replacing it wouldn't be covered by private health insurance (but why), and would cost well over a thousand bucks. Sigh. She also cleaned my teeth and told me I take too much sugar.

It's funny (not in the funny haha way), because my colleagues at work eat a lot of sweets too, but they don't seem to have the same teeth issues! Well, not that I know their teeth issues but... y'know...


Disclaimer: I am not as extreme as John.



Well, I can't compare. It's not about being the same. You just have to do what's best for you.

For me, even though I eat less sweets now than when I was a kid, that might mean throwing all my sweets out, telling e to never let me order a sweet drink again (though actually I don't do that much), and brushing after every. single. meal. It's overall exercising more self-control. I suppose I will get used to it and my cravings will change. Also it's about habit, hey?

Also, note to everyone – don't offer people's young kids sweets without asking their parents first! You may think you're being friendly and giving what the kid wants, but you might be spoiling their diet and going against the healthy eating habits their parents are trying to instil. I know this because I've seen my sisters not allowing my nephews and nieces to have more than a sip of sugary drinks when young, and my friends posting things like Sigh my kids have eaten more sugar in 3 days of Chinese New Year than their 3 years of life, then having to deal with their hyper active kids after.

Okay, now on to thinking about practical sugar control plans for me (and saving some money for a new crown)...


#newstoryofmylife

Comments

chinz said…
I don't know why other parents give the school kids so many sweets in the birthday goodie bags. End up that I have to sacrifice and eat some of the sweets the kids bring home from school...
overfluo said…
ah, a mother's sacrifice! father got sacrifice too?

Popular posts from this blog

Tupperware never looked so cool

Weekend at Lakes Entrance