Mum's here

For the past two weeks...

I've only washed cups, never any plates or pots or woks.

I've never cleaned anything, yet my house is (visibly) dust free.

The car has had its first real deep clean in a couple of um maybe months.

Laundry has never been done alone.

I've cooked only one meal.

Most mornings I wake there is some sort of food ready for me.

#justsaying #39weekspregnant

Watching my mum wash dishes after dinner last night, I thought about how when we were young, parents would make us do stuff – bring your plates to the sink, wash the dishes, clean your room. But now we are older, our parents know we do those things. Those habits have been ingrained, we have lived in our own homes with our new family for years and know how to "keep house" and "zuo ren" ("be people"). So now instead of asking us to do stuff for our sake, they do the stuff for our sake. It's their way of serving us, loving us, and perhaps grasping a bit of those long gone childhood days when we were more dependent on them.

... until the grandkids come!

Thanks Ma (and Pa).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tupperware never looked so cool

Weekend at Lakes Entrance